Friday, March 16, 2007

Building Blocks

I haven’t posted in awhile because I don’t have much to say.  Still, since this is a blog about writing I guess it’s important to say I’m still not writing.

A friend suggested the other night that I have a block.  That would be a writer’s block.  I don’t think that’s what it is.  I’ve had them in my life and they were very different.  They were “I want so much to write but I can’t.”  One time, when I’d sit at my desk I’d feel faint.  This time I simply don’t WANT to write.  Not now.  I hope it’s only for now.  But how long is now?

That’s the only thing that worries me.  How long?  That’s scary. What if it goes on for years?  What if I die before I write my 20th book?  Well, so what?  If I do, I do. In the grander scheme of things it won’t make a bit of difference.

Now and then a half-formed idea squiggles through my brain only to die young.  Maybe I kill it because I don’t WANT to write.

I’m enjoying reading and not being on a schedule.  Still, every time a writer I like publishes I feel a little ping.

But it’s not a block.  I don’t have the desire or the will right now.  And for the moment I feel all right with that.  But how long will a moment last?

 

3 comments:

Jessica Ferguson said...

Hi -- I've missed your posts and been wondering if you've found an idea and were plugging away. You know, I think there are times when writing just isn't as important to us anymore. There are so many wonderful things to do -- read, as you said. Spend time with friends. Talk on the phone or take trips. Or just laze around and enjoy our days. I have a friend who wrote several books. Her daughter died of cancer and she never fulfilled her contract for the last book. She said losing her daughter made her realize just how insignificant writing is in the grand scheme of life. Now, she does flea markets. She calls herself a treasure hunter because she searches out junk & junque, refurbishes it and sells it. She marches to her own beat these days. She has 4 different booths across Louisiana & raids other peoples trash cans. The point is... maybe at this time in your life, you NEED to read, refurbish your soul with the words and stories others create. I have a couple of stories I wish you would write... :)) hahahaha, now I sound like one of those amateurs who run up to you at conferences and say, 'hey, I have an idea for you!' Sorry. :)

pattinase (abbott) said...

I keep thinking back to that big chunk you tossed back some months ago.
When you were working on that novel were you just pushing your pencil along or did it come easily? Maybe you're in mourning for the abandoned manuscript and you should go back and try it again. When you feel like it, of course.
Don't mind my problem-solving. I'm folding brochures at work and it's deathly.

Ms.Smithford said...

Sandra,
It's not writer's block. It's burnout. Give yourself permission to go on an extended vacation.
Sammie