Friday, December 09, 2005

Good News and Bad News

Which do you want first?  I think good news should always be first because it tends to carry one through the bad news.  Of course in this case, both good and bad pertain to me so it doesn’t really matter to the reader.  Still, here’s the good news.

I’ve been assigned a new editor.  She seems very nice (we’ve only spoken on the phone) and she’s exactly who I would’ve chosen for myself. 

The bad news is that Ballantine is not going to give me a new contract until they see how well Too Darn Hot does.  Remember the numbers post?  It’s all about the numbers.  That means how well you sold.  Nothing to do with getting audio sales or book clubs and definitely nothing to do with reviews.  It’s how many copies of your book were sold.  As respectable as the numbers reflect my sales for the first book in a mystery series as I see it, it wasn’t enough for my publisher, and that’s who the boss is.

Since TDH will be published in late June, 2006, I probably won’t know anything before this time next year.  A little more vacation time than I wanted.  Or needed.

I don’t have a “dying to write this” idea now, but I plan to start hitting the keys on January 2nd. It’s a Monday, which is when any self-respecting author should begin a new novel.  I hope I don’t have to insert a smiley face everytime I make a little joke, because I don’t plan to.

At this stage in my career, I don’t have a lot of time to waste.  I’ll be open to a new idea and hope that something comes my way.  Even if doesn’t happen by Jan. 2nd I’ll sit down at this computer and face the blank page in Word on my monitor.  I’ll sit there my usual 3 to 4 hours even if I don’t type anything.  I can’t write if I’m answering email or surfing the web or reading  a book. 

For now I’ll read, blog, go to the movies and see friends. But I’ll be at my post on January 2nd, 2006.

I may be down, but I’m not out.

8 comments:

Mike said...

thats right! you arent out, just down. you know who can help lift you up? our church! we are the only true church in existence today. join us and be exalted!
God 1
sinners 0
TCOJCOEMLDS

Tami P said...

LOL, well, I don't know about any church being able to lift a writer's spirits when they are in such a holding pattern. However, there's no church like a group of writer's praying for the swift erradication of writer's block. So I'll pray for your white page to be blessed with black ink! :) (See, I insert smilies. LOL)

Anyway, congratulations on the editor appointment. I'm glad she's everything you hoped for, and would have picked on your own. That can make such a huge difference in the way you're presented to the company.

Sandra Scoppettone said...

I didn't take it as anything personal. I know it's the way the business is now.

I wish I knew more about plumbing. I need the cash.

JD Rhoades said...

Fingers crossed for you, Sandra.

Olen Steinhauer said...

Well the church link is funny (I assume it's supposed to be), but hardly appropriate.

The circumstances aren't ideal, but maybe a self-imposed vacation is just what you need to get the next book idea lined up. The space to think & all. Best of luck to you, Sandra.

Sandra Scoppettone said...

Olen,
The church comment is not meant to be funny. Click on it.

Thanks for your words of support. Perhaps you didn't see that I lost my email addresses when my computer crashed...yours among them. Can you resend it?

ravaj said...

the church site is a bit scary, but then i guess i am naive because it always surprises me that people can be so narrow-minded as to think there is only one way. religion has nothing to do with god, or whatever one chooses to call the divine. religion was made up by people to help them figure out how to cope with the unknowns of their lives.

sorry, didn't mean to get into a rant. glad you not only got an editor but one you feel may be a good one.

am also pretty naive in wishing still that quality of a product is more important than the cash it generates. o well. all the best ...

Cap'n Bob said...

I clicked on the church site and after waffling a while decided it was a spoof. If the guy IS serious I hope he never gets my home address.