Thursday, May 22, 2008

Sleepless in Southold

Last night I had a helluva time falling asleep.  I think it was because I ate a chocolate cookie…very chocolate…too late.  But it was also because I was reading a short story by Alice Munro.

I started to think about stories again.  When I put out the light to try to force myself to sleep, I could only think of ss ideas.

I don’t know what it means.  I’m not saying I’m going to write any, but something is happening.  I’ve noticed my ears are perking up when other people are having conversations.

Writing a ss is not a huge commitment the way a novel is.  On the other hand I’ve always felt writing one was wasting time.  I have to do something about this idea.  This way of thinking.

That’s all.

3 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Having just reread your story in Prisoner of Memory, I urge you to write another. It's such a gem.

Josephine Damian said...

It doesn't get much better than Alice Munro.

Writing shorts are a good way to pass the time while waiting for agent or publisher news on a novel.
Also a good way to get your name out there.

But methinks the full moon as the hormone havoc it causes might be behind your sleepless night - I sure notice its influence on my sleep habits.

Sandra Scoppettone said...

I guess you didn't read much of my blog, Josephine. And I guess you never heard of me. I'm basically not writing anymore. Believe it or not my name is out there.

As for my sleepless night (I've had the full moon problem) it really was chocolate.