Saturday, February 02, 2008

Could This Be It?

Someone sent me this:

“Writer's block is a phenomenon involving temporary loss of ability to begin or continue writing, usually due to lack of inspiration or creativity.”

It never occurred to me that I might be experiencing writer’s block. I’ve had it before but it came in an entirely different form, so I didn’t recognize it this time. Of course, it may not be that at all. It may be what I wrote in the last post.

However, I perked up at the word “temporary” so that tells me something.

Although I won’t be posting my daily writing trials, I will be posting my writing thoughts, just as the name of this blog says.


4 comments:

Rosina Lippi Green said...

I think it must be something in the atmosphere, because I've been terribly blocked for six months at least. On the other hand, have you considered you might be clinically depressed? Deep depression sucks every bit of pleasure out of the things that normally make life worthwhile. Ask me how I know.

TrickyZerg said...

Over the course of my nine months of writing coming only with extreme difficulty -- five of which I spent crawling ever-deeper into the bowels of clinical depression -- it was a great relief to think to myself, "Maybe it's writer's block." (Same with thinking to myself, "Damn, maybe I'm depressed!" after those many months of feeling awful all the time, crying at night, loathing myself, lying in the dark for hours listening to music because I lacked the energy to do anything else ...)

I identify strongly with your journal; I've been perusing the archives. I've gone into detail about my depressed period so that you can examine your life for the past several weeks/months/years and see if what I'm saying reminds you of yourself.

CurtissAnn said...

Heard years ago a description of writer's block as akin to constipation. This is what it has been for me. About a year and a half ago, I began a book, wrote a hundred or so pages, threw it out, started another, did the same thing. Finally got started on the one I'm doing now, and yes for contract, but it is hard going. Funny thing, when I go back and read what I've written, I find it not bad. I think I'm burned out with deadlines, lack of publisher support, and all manner of life events. I want to write other things, without pressure.

Thanks for your honesty.

Curtiss Ann Matlock

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you will still be here.