Friday, August 31, 2007

The Last Excuse (I hope)

About a month ago I told myself that after Labor Day I’d try to start a new novel.  But that’s not going to happen.

A week from today I have to have minor surgery.  I know that leaves me Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, but I can’t concentrate because I’m nervous about the surgery.  Maybe others wouldn’t be, but I am and that’s that.

So I’ll start on September 10th.  How do I feel about that?  Anxious.

I also hate to give up all the reading time I’ve had these last months and months.  Despise having to get on a schedule.  I know I posted awhile back that I wouldn’t have to be on one, but I know me.  I need that structure.

I’m not going to be able to take my laptop down to the new Starbucks and sip coffee and write.  That’s a fantasy.  I’m going to be right here, staring at a blank page in Word on my nice flat Xerox screen.  During my writing hours I’m not going to peek at email or log on to Sarah Weinman's Blog to see what I should read next.  And I can’t check Ed Gorman's Blog for interesting reflections or pop over to A Writer's Life to see if Lee Goldberg is writing about me again.  I kid my Lee. 

Nope can’t do any of that stuff.  I have to sit here from nine to noon, or a little later, and tap out what I can.  Yes, I have an idea.  I still don’t know if it’s viable, but I have give it a try.

If it ends up like my last attempt, 200 pages or so and not being able to finish, I don’t know what I’ll do.  I won’t swear that I’ll hang up my computer, but I might.

The lure of writing that 20th novel is still with me.  I’m going to give it my best shot.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry you're facing surgery. Minor or not, that's a psychic force to be reckoned with. Sending prayers and good thoughts.

Jessica Ferguson said...

Sandra, I'd be scared too!

Every time you feel anxious about your surgery, shift gears and know that I'll be praying for you every day throughout each day. And for your doctor too.

I'll be happy to send some get-well Louisiana treats to cheer you. :) Want some?

Sandra Scoppettone said...

Thanks for all the good wishes. But it really is minor. I'm not scared. I'm anxious and annoyed that I have to do this.

Please know it's no big deal.

Treats? Ah, that sounds like sweets. Because of this surgery I can't go to my exercise place for two weeks so although it's hard to pass, I have to. Thanks for the thought.

Jessica Ferguson said...

No sweets, Sandra. I had in mind spices, gumbo mixes, roux starters ... that sort of stuff. Just you holler when you want anything from down south. :-)

Here's a blog article that might interest you.
http://mysterycompany.typepad.com/jimhuang/2007/08/at-some-point-i.html

pattinase (abbott) said...

September 10th has a good sound to it. A really good sound.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Actually, I have learned that it is never minor when it's me having the procedure.

Best wishes for a safe and speedy surgery. See you here when you are finished recuperating.

Terrie