Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Another Step

Yesterday my editor sent me the flap copy for Too Darn Hot. Part of it was good, but some things gave too much away. I emailed him about this (he’d asked for my input) and wondered what he’d think.

Same day he emailed me back, “I’ll make all the changes.”

I find it so strange that Ballantine does things so far in advance. Next week I get the copy-edited manuscript and I’m sure I’ll be getting jacket designs in a month. The book isn’t scheduled until summer 2006.

I would imagine that next week or the next, the negotiations for a new contract will begin.

Basically, This Dame for Hire is over until it comes out next summer in paper. Shelf life is incredibly short unless you’re a big name. It’s been two months and I’ll be lucky to get a few more weeks before the stores start sending the book back to make room for the Fall releases. On Amazon there are 52 used & new of my book. I’d buy one of those, wouldn’t you? And that, of course, brings me 0 royalties. I can hope that someone paid for all those books originally.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Am I the only person who noticed this, or am I just making it up, but your use of names in "This Dame for Hire" were almost all the first or last names of famous stars of the time. In fact, I got so interested in listing out the names, that I sometimes lost track of the characters while thinking over their names. Neat plot device. Mari Denniston-marietta.denniston@judicial.state.co.us