Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Page Proofs

They came yesterday. This is the last chance I get to make changes in my book, This Dame For Hire.  They are exactly the way the pages will look in the bound galley and the hardcover book.

I spent most of the day working on them.  That means that I've been reading the book again and looking for typos or mistakes.  I found very few and I'm halfway through.

Having to read it again is hideous.  I don't feel like reading it.  It's interrupted my writing schedule.  In fact, it feels like torture having to read it.  But this will be the last time.  Once a book is published I never read it again.

If I have to make a personal appearance and do a reading that's the only time I give the book a tumble.  I don't know whether that will happen with his novel or not. 

I got very good at doing that with my Lauren Laurano series.  And this book has an angle to it that will make it fairly easy to read aloud.  We'll see.

I have to continue reading the damn thing tomorrow.  I hope I finish it then.  I'm not a fast reader at all. 

So it looks like my writing week is over because we'll be running away from the cleaners again on Friday.  Going to the movies.  This was always going to be a four day writing week, but it turned out to be a two day week.

I want to have at least 100 pages finished before Christmas.  I'll take the week between Christmas and New Years.  The whole publishing industry does so why shouldn't I?  That's one of the perks I have being a novelist who supports herself strictly through writing.  I'm so lucky. 

Then why am I complaining? 

 

No comments: