Thursday, February 07, 2008

For the Record

I appreciate everyone who’s left me comments and suggested ways and means to get going again.

First, I’m not depressed. Am I a depressive? Yes. But I take medication for that and I’ve been fine for quite a long time now.

Second, it’s not about me having to be happy when I write. I’m sorry if I gave that impression.

This is what it’s about. I don’t want to write anything. Not stories, letters, lists. I can post to this blog and I can write email but that’s it. I don’t want to write fiction or nonfiction. Not articles or poems. Nothing. And guess what? I find myself perfectly content not writing.

That may change. Who knows? But for now I’m delighted to read, do things on my computer, watch movies, meet someone for coffee or sit quietly and think.

I’ve been writing for over 50 years…yes, I’m a geezer…and I’m tired. I’ve been lucky to be published and sometimes paid handsomely. And during my career I’ve gotten respect, good and bad reviews and all the things that are a bonus to a writer.

Yes, that was in the early part of my career. As I’ve said before, publishing has changed. I’m glad I had the experiences I did before the change, like flowers from an editor on publication day.

I admit this change in the way things are done may have contributed to my present state. But that part I better get over.

So, I don’t want to write anything and I’m not depressed. But thanks for caring.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, if you don't want to write, then don't. Enjoy yourself. I've talked about this with Judy quite a bit because there have been several times in the last year when I've thought about quitting. I don't think I'd be depressed about it at all. I wouldn't have to worry about deadlines or anything else associated with the business part of writing. There's a lot to be said for that.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are okay and content with your decision and your experiences as a writer. All's well.

TrickyZerg said...

My experience writing is a fraction of yours, but I'm continually amazed by how similar it has been in this regard. It's just that my turnover rate of feelings toward writing has been much faster. Probably something to do with those vaunted Teenaged Hormones.® (Oh, how I loathe it when people bring those into a conversation. "You're still so young, you'll get over it!" I don't care if it's true; I don't want to hear about it!)

I've written a few hundred words today. Totally spontaneous and unthinking. They're good words, too. I feel that fantastic sort of quiet contentment that only comes from writing. And I'm excited enough that I had to share it with someone. :-D

Unknown said...

Hi Sandra,
I am a fan and dabble in writing.
I used to be a classical musician and gave up playing for some of the reasons that you've listed. And I'm absolutely fine. I haven't touched a clarinet in 13 years now and have no desire to.
You have brought countless hours of enjoyment to my life. You deserve to rest, relax and live your life in the way that best suits you.

Thanks again for all your work and for this blog.

Cap'n Bob said...

With me it's the other way around. I want to write but the world is telling me to stop.

S. J. Powers said...

This makes me sad, mostly because I love your characters and hate to think there will be no more Scoppettone books to devour. That being said, I am a writer who, for various reasons, has gone years without writing anything. But I certainly wasn't happy about it. But I'm glad for you this isn't the case. I understand the satisfaction and pleasure of reading, and just living your life. So the writer in me says, Yeah, you go for it. But as an avid reader, and one of your biggest fans, I only hope there will continue to be books published that satisfy this reader's ache to be totally engaged one helluva good story.

Hinsley Ford said...

Sandra, if you never, ever write again, you can sleep soundly. You are a writer, no matter the last time you wrote. If you never write for the public or yourself again, Sandra Scoppettone is a writer. You have been a part of my growth as a writer and as a person. Your work has been authentic, brilliant and - which is really a stand out quality to me these days -- non-formulaic. You've had experiences with publishing that many of us will never have. You're a pro, and your contributions have already been more than enough. As you said, write for yourself and not for an audience. I needed to hear that today. I had a passion for writing as a very young girl who lived in an oxygen tent. I knew nothing about audience, blogs, publishers -- it was all about words, images, and characters. I need to remember this, and thank you for reminding me.

With great regard...
Hinsley Ford