Sunday, February 11, 2007

Decision

I’ve finally decided to give up the novel that I’ve been working on for over a year.  I’ve never spent so much time on something and then quit.  But I know in my gut that it’s the right thing to do.

I’m going to start something new.  I have a glimmer of an idea and I hope to get a first chapter done this week.  That may be all I do for awhile as I’m unsure of this and have to think more.  Or, writing the first chapter may give me the spark I need to go on right away.

You never know, do you?  Ain’t we got fun!

3 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Although what you put aside is probably better than what most writers crow about, it may be the right thing for now since it was bringing you no joy.
I have just passed the point in a story where the other ones have always ended, maybe this is the one....at any rate, it's now or never.

Me. Here. Right now. said...

Sometimes just making the decision is the toughest part. Good luck on the next work.

Anonymous said...

I'm a big beliver in following your gut when it comes to writing. Lawrence Block talks several times about abandoning projects that became unworkable. It's part of the price we pay for working in the arts.

Now, after some time away and work on other projects, you may get an idea on how to rework, or it may be abandoned forever.

But all of this is certainly worth it, I think, when the project goes great and you get that buzz of a great project.